Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall is one of the most common types of accidents and is often the subject of litigation in courts throughout Massachusetts and across the country. As the name implies, these accidents happen when a person slips - or trips, slides, skids or stumbles - and falls to the ground. The incidents regularly occur when a person or business responsible for maintaining a floor, street, or other surface either neglects to do so or fails to warn visitors of any dangerous conditions that may be present.
While slip and fall accidents are fairly common, they can result in serious injury, long hospital stays, and missed work. According to the National Floor Safety Institute, falls are the leading cause of hospital emergency room visits, accounting for roughly 8 million visits to the E.R. each year.
The Eastham slip and fall lawyers at the Law Offices of John C. Manoog III have been representing clients in a wide range of personal injury matters since 1994. We help clients focus on healing after an accident with the peace of mind of knowing that we are working diligently to protect their rights and maximize the compensation to which they are entitled.Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Sometimes a slip and fall accident is just that: an accident. But when that accident is the result of defective design or poor maintenance, the person or organization responsible for the dangerous condition causing the fall can be held accountable for injuries under a legal theory called "premises liability." Generally, a property owner has a responsibility to keep the premises, including floors and sidewalks, in a safe condition and to warn visitors (invited guests, customers, employees, etc.) of any hazards of which the owner knows or should be aware of with regular diligence.
Among other causes, slip and fall accidents often arise under one or more of these circumstances:
Liquids can leak onto a floor causing a dangerous, unexpected hazard in places like stores and restaurants.
Debris left in aisles or on sidewalks, hangers left on floors, and trash strewn at a worksite pose a danger to both visitors and employees.
A defective design, such as a ramp with a sharp, unmarked drop, or uneven stairs or walkways, can cause a dangerous fall.
Negligent maintenance can result in a slippery surface, broken stair rail, and other dangerous situations.
A contractor's failure to plow snow as required, or a building owner's neglect in maintaining gutters, may also cause a fall.
A property owner’s failure to properly clear their property of snow and ice, and/or failure to use sand or salt to help reduce the risk of falls, may result in an injury.
At the Law Offices of John C. Manoog III, our attorneys have the skills, experience, and ability necessary to help clients injured in slip and fall and other accidents obtain financial recovery from any and all responsible parties. We thoroughly review medical documents, witness statements, and other evidence in order to understand the full extent of the injuries, and establish a connection between those injuries and the accident.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact the Massachusetts personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of John C. Manoog III. Our lawyers are available to discuss your case in a free initial consultation, and we offer flexible evening, weekend, and offsite hours. Call us at (888) 262-6664 or contact us online. We provide legal services to various local communities, including Bourne, Martha’s Vineyard, and Wellfleet. Nós Falamos Português.
- Accidents at Schools
- Amusement Park Accidents
- Automatic Door Accidents
- Balcony Accidents
- Broken Bones in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Building Code Violations
- Carbon Monoxide Injuries
- Children on Property Accidents
- Common Slip and Fall Injuries
- Condominium Accidents
- Damages in Slip and Fall Cases
- Debris on Floor Accidents
- Deck and Porch Collapses
- Defective Property Conditions
- Department Store Accidents
- Electric Shock Accidents
- Evidence in Slip and Fall Cases
- Falling Merchandise
- Fatal Slip and Fall Injuries
- Faulty Handrails and Stairwells
- Fire on Property Accidents
- Gas Station and Convenience Store Liability
- Gym and Fitness Center Liability
- Hazardous Landscaping
- Head Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Hip Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Hotel and Resort Liability
- Inadequate Maintenance
- Inadequate Warnings or Barriers
- Motel Accidents
- Negligent Security
- Poor Lighting
- Protruding Objects
- Ramp Accidents
- Restaurant Liability
- Retail Store Liability
- Settlement Negotiations in Premises Liability Cases
- Shopping Mall Accidents
- Shoulder Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accidents in Gyms
- Slip and Fall Accidents in Nightclubs
- Slip and Fall Accidents in Parking Lots
- Slip and Fall Accidents in Short-Term Rental Properties
- Slip and Falls at Apartment Complexes
- Slip and Falls at Office Buildings
- Slip and Falls at Shopping Centers
- Snow and Ice Accidents
- Soft Tissue Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Spinal Cord Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
- Statute of Limitations in Slip and Fall Cases
- Supermarket Slip and Falls
- Swimming Pool Accidents
- Trials in Slip and Fall Cases
- Uneven Pavement
- What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Wet Floor Accidents